I'm interested in this radio because it's thin and light, has an exceptional battery life, and should have decent RF output on UHF. It also looks like it has USB charging. Generally, though, LiON batteries need some kind of intelligent charging, so I doubt that a generic USB connection would be advisable.
Since this looks like it's the template for BaoFeng UV-B6, it might be that BaoFeng batteries will be compatible with the HiGrade 2.0TS. There's a history of HiGrade providing the designs, which are then essentially "open-sourced" - probably involuntarily. Look at the HiGrade HG-UV7 and tell me if it reminds you of a BaoFeng. It must just be that BaoFeng had the superior marketing and retail outlets. It's actually fairly difficult to buy a HiGrade radio of any kind. BaoFengs of all sorts are available from thousands of sites. Amazon and eBay have multiple sellers, Google shopping has dozens of retailers, they are sold by every domestic ham radio website and brick-and-mortar store. Other brands, such as PuXing, TYT, and Wouxun, are easy to find, but they are not omnipresent like the BaoFeng radios are. Even Chinese retailers don't carry HiGrade, and you don't see them on eBay.
The RF output is stated at "greater than or equal to 5W", and it's mono-band UHF radio. That can only mean 5 watts RF output on UHF - not the 2 watts that you find on a "4 watt" BaoFeng. With a "real" mobile antenna, the HiGrade 2.0TS should work well in the car with the extra power. I won't be looking at the display while I'm driving, because there is no display. I don't have a voltage adapter, so I'd be operating strictly on batteries. That could actually help in terms of noise, though. What gives me pause is this:
- Spare or replacement batteries aren't sold online
- Antenna jack is SMA male, instead of SMA female like most.
- There's no display, so it's hard to know what channel you are on.
No comments:
Post a Comment