Saturday, 13 February 2016

"Emergency" repeater policies clarified...mostly

  Ever since I was first licensed, I've heard conflicting assertions over who can use the "emergency" repeaters in Hennepin County. By "emergency" repeaters, I mean the following repeaters: 145.430-, 146.700-, 146.820-, 444.175+, 444.200+, 444.500+

  These repeaters are either run under the signs WC0HC (RACES) or W0PZT (HCSO-CRT). They are taxpayer-supported, well-maintained machines with excellent coverage. In the past, "EmComm trolls" have chased me (or tried to chase me) off of the 145.430, 146.700, and 444.200 repeaters. Also, I've been been told by N0TNL (Matt) -- the official monitor -- that general use (i.e. conversations) is acceptable on these repeaters if users "yield to emergency traffic". Others have told me "over the top" spook stories about jail terms for even keying up on these repeaters. Other "EmComm types" have told me that some of these machines are "off limits" to mere mortals, while other repeaters are open for use by any licensed amateur. 

  About a month ago, I found a definitive answer for some of these repeaters on WC0HC.org. The 145.430- (127.3 PL), 444.175+ (127.3 PL), and 444.200+ (127.3 PL) repeaters are (per the people that run them) open for "general use". This means actual conversations with other hams over subjects that don't include life-or-death matters, disasters, or "I'm more deadly serious than you are" pissing contests. 

  The exception is the 146.700- repeater in downtown Minneapolis. From the website:
GENERAL QSOs DISCOURAGED: When not in use for RACES or SKYWARN operations, this repeater is designated as a CALLING AND EMERGENCY frequency. Several Governmental RACES stations, EOC centers, ARES, Hospitals, Disaster Relief and other organizations attempt to maintain a radio watch on this repeater in order to respond to emergencies. This radio watch cannot be done effectively if there is any amount of rag-chewing. The repeater should be KEPT CLEAR of general amateur radio conversation traffic AT ALL TIMES in order for the channel to be open and available for calling/ hailing/ distress and emergency reporting traffic. Amateur stations are welcome to use the repeater for calling/ hailing in order to make initial contact and make arrangements to move to another frequency but are asked to AVOID the repeater for any extended duration QSOs.

  Okay, that's pretty clear
"Their repeater, their rules", I suppose. If my Hennepin County taxes are supporting the 146.700, I should have some kind of limited use on it. And there is just that sort of limited use permitted -- calling and hailing. Personally, even if that sort of use wasn't allowed, I'd be okay with this policy because it unequivocally opens up three repeaters as it closes off one

  This should make the monitor's job easier, put some trolls out of work "guarding" the other repeaters, and give the most deadly serious people in town a place to not talk to each other, while being extremely pleased with that situation. It's a "win-win". 

  Still, this leaves two repeaters with unclear policies. What of the 146.820- and the 444.500+ machines run by (the apparently defunct) MARC? 

  I asked Dan Anderson, who is the repeater trustee for the WC0HC repeaters. He got back to me promptly, and referred me to SD Lt. Joe Sherohman. Joe is the Director of the HCSO-CRT (Hennepin County Sheriff's Office - Communications Response Team) -- the group that runs the W0PZT repeaters. 

  Joe's response is as follows: 

The W0PZT repeaters are for all practical purposes closed to general use and reserved for official Sheriff’s Office use only. I’m referring the final word to the trustee of these repeaters, Sgt. Peter Hall.

  Okay, this has got to be one of the best-kept secrets in local amateur FM, then. Even the "EmComm trolls" don't bother devoting their eternal vigilance to these two repeaters. I've used these two repeaters for as long as I've been licensed -- especially when I first got my licence -- because they're close, have great coverage, and work with HTs. Lately, it seems as if I'm on the 444.500 at least once a week because I can get into it virtually anywhere in Plymouth while driving and reach across the metro. I'm not the only one that uses these two repeaters, either. And, over the course of three years now, I've never heard any "official Sheriff's Office use" on them. Once, I heard some organisational SkyWarn activity for about 20 minutes, but that's as close to EmComm as I've ever monitored. 

  I'm still waiting for Sgt. Peter Hall to get back to me, but this strikes me as an unreasonable policy, and more restrictive than the WC0HC policy on the 146.700 machine. Certainly, any repeater can be designated as "closed" by those that operate it. I'll grant the HCSO-CRT that much. These two machines are now The Forbidden Repeaters, at least in my mind. 

EDIT: It's been over a week since Lt. Sherohman asked Sgt. Hall to confirm this policy, and four days since I followed up with a message of my own. There has been no response. I've been unable to find any public policy posted on the Internet, especially on the HCSO website. This is, indeed, a secret policy. I'm going to err on the side of caution and go with Lt. Sherohman's statement, but it seems more like nobody at the HCSO-CRT really knows what their policy is. 

*****
EDIT: On 3/19, Sgt. Peter Hall confirmed that the 444.500+ and the 146.820- repeaters are closed to amateur use. I'm going to update the RepeaterBook listings accordingly.
*****

  Aside from these repeaters being taxpayer-supported, they aren't even used for emergency communications. This is a "dog in the manger" policy that goes against the spirit of amateur radio. If I had ever heard any "official" communications taking place on this repeater, I'd feel differently. I see no reason why these machines can't be shared.

  Second, I'm confused as to why the County Sheriff would need even one amateur repeater, much less two. They have their own state-of-the-art digital systems that make these analogue repeaters look like toys in comparison. If these are backup machines, then close them off when they are needed, just as any other analogue repeater can be closed off for emergencies. 

  Third, these repeaters are both listed as "open" on the MRC's list, as well as on RepeaterBook. This is a poor way to communicate to licensed amateurs that they are, in fact, closed. I'd suggest correcting these listings, and also adding a voice ID stating the policy -- if the HCSO-CRT really cares about restricting use, that is. 

  Fourth, the HCSO-CRT is blowing an opportunity for outreach here. Do something with these machines to engage the amateur community, recruit volunteers, elicit support, and generate positive PR. Get these putative amateur operators from the Sheriff's Office on the air for a monthly net on The Forbidden Repeaters. Promote your mission. Disseminate your propaganda. Tell your stories. Make yourselves appear to be human. 

  Last, if the HCSO-CRT is not going to enforce this (secret) policy, then drop it. Designate troll-guardians with special authority to speak on The Forbidden Repeaters to guilelessly chase away intruders, for a start. If you're going to go down this (frankly ridiculous) road, then go "all in". Put up the radio equivalent of a "No Trespassing" sign. Anyone that operates a closed repeater knows that it needs to be defended, at least with a token gesture. Otherwise, you're daring the worst elements to abuse it. Indeed, I've heard some of the worst elements abusing it in the past. 

  If the HCSO-CRT confirms this highly-restrictive (and ill-conceived) policy, I'll abide by it and warn others not to use these two repeaters. That doesn't mean that I agree with it, however. 

  Being more anal than the worst of the EmComm crowd in the metro should serve as a warning to the HCSO-CRT that they're being unreasonable.

2 comments:

Weamster said...

Good background info. You're right, if they're supposedly closed, why are they listed as open on the MRC? That would be a good question for the frequency coordinator. -Greg KE0CRW

Todd Dugdale said...

Yeah, Greg. Anyone can close any repeater for any reason. That's their right. But if you don't want other amateur operators *using* your closed repeaters, you kind of give up that right when you co-ordinate them as "open" machines. These machines have never been listed as "closed" in the time that I've been licensed. If they had, I never would have used them.
This just confirms my belief that the Sheriff's Office doesn't really care one way or the other. There's probably a bureaucratic justification that was made a long time ago, but everyone's forgotten just why it was these repeaters had to be closed.
And, as I said, a great way to encourage abuse on these repeaters is to tell people they can't use them, and then refuse to enforce that policy.
Nothing about this makes sense, and I think that the HCSO-CRT knows it.

Post a Comment