Thursday, 12 June 2014

KD0UIH on PSK31: My Leap Into Digital Modes

Hi again, it’s Chuck (KD0UIH) taking another crack at writing a blog post.  Quite a bit has been learned since my first post.  This hobby keeps me entertained and keeps my grey matter from getting mushy. 

We all know amateur radio has many avenues to explore and for a new operator, such as myself, it can be a little overwhelming at times.  In other words, there are so many things to try and it is very exciting right from the start.  So, there I was minding my own business talking to locals on the repeaters, reading articles, meeting fellow hams in person and working HF on occasion.  It happened.  I decided to make the leap into digital modes.

I was doing my usual evening hangout on a local repeater, KA0KMJ (444.425) when I heard talk about PSK31.  I have seen examples of digital modes online and read about it but the thought of actually doing it didn’t really cross my mind... until that moment.  

PSK31 is a text-based digital mode that has been around since the mid 90s.  It is keyboard to keyboard with no internet required.  The narrow bandwidth (2.5 kHz) makes this mode very effective with low power QRP operation.  Get this... because of the narrow bandwidth, nearly twenty contacts can be interacting at the same time verses one SSB phone QSO.  That’s a very impressive use of the airwaves!

That evening, the homework started and I knew that I had to try this!  I did  some internet searching and talked to Tony (N0RUA) for a little advice.  He suggested the SignaLink USB would be worth looking at.   He pointed out having easy access to audio level changes via knobs on the front of the unit vs. clicking through internal computer menus was something to consider which sealed the deal for me.  I ordered the SignaLink USB and Icom-specific cable for it’s sheer simplicity and popularity among fellow hams.  

In the meantime, I decided on the software I would use.  Being a Mac computer user, the choices are limited compared to Windows and I am not running Windows on any machines at this time.  CocoaModem 2.0 was the choice for me.  Aside from PSK31, this software does other digital modes like RTTY, Wideband CW, and the crazy sounding Hellschreiber mode.  There’s an excellent User’s Manual that you’ll need to check out as well.  Many great reviews were read and it is a free download.  The software was installed and ready to go!

We all know that computers can either be for us or against us.  At first, the thought of interfacing a computer with the radio gave me visions of a tangled mess of frustrating problems.  I was completely wrong!  After receiving the SignaLink USB and cable, I simply connected everything as specified.  After turning the radio on and launching CocoaModem, I made a couple of setting changes in the software Config window to specify the input and output sources (USB Audio Codec to be specific).  A couple of quick clicks in the System Preferences/Sound menu to change the input and output sources and before I knew it I was looking at a very active “waterfall” display of PSK31 data!  It really was that easy!

After some time “listening” to other QSOs, I decided to give it a try.  I made my first PSK31 contact with Tom (K8TOM) in Washington and the logbook is filling up quickly!  While I am still learning, I have been enjoying this new mode.  It is perfect for someone interested in QRP, portable ops, or something different.  

If you are interested in trying this, or any other digital modes, there is a wealth of information online as well as your fellow knowledgeable operators willing to help you along.  Friendly reminder...  keep the power low, stay within your license class privileges and be sure to check out the band plan before you “strut your stuff”.  

Have fun with PSK31 and I hope to see you in the “waterfall”!


No comments:

Post a Comment