Thursday, 23 January 2014

Possible improvements to the blog

N0YNT (Matt) and KA0KMJ (John) have kindly, but tentatively, agreed to explore the possibility of becoming co-authors of this blog. Recent controversies have forced me to disable comments, and it would just seem easier to allow these two highly-experienced local hams permission to add posts of their own correcting and expanding upon my observations.

Both of these guys have been heavily involved in the local ham radio scene for decades, while I am a mere "outsider" looking in at a world run by "insiders". I don't pretend to be an "expert", and I can only speculate on matters that these two are deeply familiar with. The vibrant local ham radio scene here in Minneapolis/ St. Paul is crying out for some kind of media to both spur discussion of the path forward and to increase awareness of the resources available to new people just entering the hobby. While I've done the best that I can to fill that gaping hole, there is much to be said for commentary here beyond rants and rumours.

While some have taken it upon themselves to act as cleansing inquisitors bound to take heretics such as myself to task, it would be a fruitless task to paint Matt and John as "clueless newbies" who fail to understand what the hobby has to offer. They know full well what is possible, what is needed, and what has failed. I routinely defer to their accumulated wisdom of the hobby, so those who wish to offer me unsolicited 'guidance' and 'advice' should rest assured that I am in good hands and in no need of inquisitors' putative 'wisdom'.

I would very much like to increase the participation of the local amateur radio community in this blog, but that unfortunately opens up the discussion to others with a different agenda. Not all hams see the future of ham radio as a stroll down Memory Lane, nor as a struggle to replicate what 'worked' thirty years ago. While John and Matt disagree with a considerable number of my opinions, they have proven that they are willing to take the time to correct the flawed parts and let the rest stand on its own merits. Neither has seen any constructive point to silencing me or "making me pay" for expressing unorthodox views. I would go so far as to say that they see a diminishing value in "orthodoxy" in general.

In the same way, I owe it to those that follow this blog to provide the insight and factual basis that will allow the local amateur community to grasp the issues involved in facing both the present and the future challenges to the hobby. When I can no longer provide that, due to my relative inexperience and technical shortcomings, then others should step forward and fill those gaps. Who am I to stand in the way of discourse like that?

Should KA0KMJ or N0YNT decide to contribute to this blog, it would a service to the local community from two people that are no strangers to providing a service to the local ham radio community.

UPDATE: N0YNT (Matt) has accepted the offer to co-author the blog. Also, the blog has been returned to visibility of search engines, and my email address has been included in my profile to allow for easier commenting and input on the issues discussed here.