While there is a sub-band for CW and SSB on 1.25M, only high-end radios will cover that mode. You could use a transverter from Elecraft on a normal HF radio for CW, SSB, or PSK31. The XV222 is $400, and has about 20W output. Be aware, though, that DX on this band is unlikely. Only North and South America allows operation on the band (and not every country there, either), and frequency allocations differ between countries. Canada has CW and SSB specified on 222.05 - 222.275, and the U.S. allocation runs from 222.000 - 222.250. Mexico has a different system of specific channels, some of which are not for amateur use.
What little activity there is on 1.25M is either FM or (to a much lesser extent) packet (digital). I don't know of any digital repeaters locally for the band. I'm looking here at FM options.
While I really dislike fear-mongering, I want to point out that there is a threat of amateurs losing the 1.25M band. Unlike 10 meters, the VHF frequencies are somewhat valuable to commercial interests. Cellular technology has kept this demand down, but 220 MHz is prime digital territory for fleets. The FCC is unsympathetic, and sees the band as a great spot for new digital technology. If we don't start using 1.25M, the FCC could hand it over to commercial interests.
Kenwood has made a few 1.25M radios, but they are all discontinued: TM-331A, TM-74AD, TM-621A, and the TM-742AD.
The mobiles that are available for the band are not fancy. They don't have removable fronts, APRS, or TFT displays. They are all monoband, which can be a "deal-breaker" for many.
If you have a "thing" about Chinese radios, then your option would be the Alinco DR-235T. The DR-235T is a 25W FM mobile monoband for $225, with digital options available. Aside from the optional TNC for packet, there is also the EJ-47U board that can be added for digital FM voice. The digital voice option doesn't seem to be compatible with any of the other technologies, though. 25 watts is certainly enough for most FM repeater work. But, given the relative scarcity of 1.25M repeaters, you may find that you have a long way to go to reach that repeater in some areas. If you are considering the DR-235T for base station use, a beam would be a better option rather than throwing a lot of power in all directions.
A popular (Chinese) option is the Jetstream JT220M, which is a 50W FM mobile monoband for $230 -- about the same price as the Alinco. I considered it seriously because it only has a current draw of 9A at full power, allowing for a cheaper power supply. The reviews for this radio are not impressive, however.
Then you have what I chose: the TYT TH-9000. I got it for a bit over $170 on Amazon. It's a 50W FM mobile monoband, though it has a current draw of 12A at full power. I'm using it on a 7A supply and keeping the output down to 10W, though it seemed to handle things at 25W okay. The TYT TH-9000 also is available for 2M and 440 MHz, so don't get confused when looking at them. I could hit two of the local repeaters using a 5W HT with a "rubber duck", so 10W with a beam (or even a whip) lets me hit all four with full quieting. I'm not that interested in simplex operation, and the band is completely dead in that regard anyway, so the low power setting works fine for me. It also keeps the radio cool. Of course, the 3-element Yagi is great for low power, too. It has 200 channels, which is ridiculous. There are only about a dozen simplex channels, and you aren't likely to have many repeaters in your area.
Still, $170 is a bit of a gamble on a band like this, at least for some people. There are Chinese HT's available for those people. I've tried them and was disappointed, but they did get me on the air.
- BaoFeng makes a dual-band HT that covers 2M/1.25M. I've only seen them on eBay, which is where I bought mine. They are a standard BaoFeng in every way, except for the band coverage. You can get one for $60 - $75, which is more than you would pay for a standard 2M/70cm radio. Still, it's a lot cheaper than the TYT TH-9000. The usual caveats for Baofeng apply: the RF output on 220 MHz is only 2.5W (though 2M is good at 4W), and it gets flaky with an external antenna. BaoFengs have a weird inductive loading that works best with the "rubber duck"; an external antenna will add noise to the receiver. Still, it hits the two closest repeaters clearly with the beam. I could be made out okay using a whip on one machine. I can "ker-chunk" two repeaters with the "duck", but it's at least 12 miles to the closest. What makes this attractive is that, should 1.25M not be for you, it can still be used on two meters.BaoFeng also makes a "battery eliminator" that makes mobile use a possibility.
- TYT has a dual-band 70cm/1.25M HT -- the TH-UVF9. Like the TH-9000, there are different "flavours", so be careful when shopping. I bought one from DNJ Radio, and they shipped me a 2M/440 model instead. I got my money back, but it's still a hassle. Ultimately, I got one on eBay from a guy in Kentucky. Prices seem to vary from $80 - 100, which makes this less attractive but cheaper than a mobile. I am disappointed with this radio. The RF output on 440 MHz is only 2W, and the receiver is terrible on that band. Basically, it's useless on UHF. On 220, though, it works very well. I can hit two repeaters clearly using just the "duck", and output checks at a full 5W. The battery has a long life (1800 mAh), it receives well on 220, and it tolerates external antennas just fine. You can use the BaoFeng "battery eliminators" with this radio. Be aware that the included mobile charger will ruin the battery if you transmit while charging. One thing that I like about this HT is that it has MSK, so that I can send my callsign digitally.
- TYT also has a cheaper option: the UV3R. For about $60, it's absolutely basic. Only 2.5W RF output turned me off, because you know that it isn't even that strong. It has USB charging, if you think that's cool. It's a dual-band 2M/220, but the low power doesn't make 2M very feasible - even if it isn't like the UVF9's second band. At this price, the Baofeng is a better bet, in my opinion.
- Wouxun offers the dual-band KG UVD1P HT in different "flavours". At $100 - 150, it's a bit pricier and quality issues have been widely reported. Much like the BaoFeng, it's 2M/220. I haven't bought this, since I already had the Baofeng. For the price, you might as well buy the TYT mobile unless you have a need to operate portable on the band.
There aren't a lot of antennae out there for the band. Centerfire makes a ground plane ($30) or 3-element Yagi ($50) for the band. A J-pole is available on eBay for $20. Laird makes a basic mobile whip ($10) and a 3-element Yagi ($90). Beware any generic mobile whips. Anli sells a tri-band mobile whip for ($70).
I seems obvious, but I'll mention it: any of these mobiles need a power supply for base station use. Linear supplies are quieter, but more expensive. Look at the current rating, especially the continuous current rating, of any supply. Make sure it's capable of handling the rated current draw of the mobile. Don't get 12v supplies; only 13.8vdc should be used to keep the current draw within the rated specs. Plan on spending at least $150 for a supply, unless you already have one. If you see an HF radio in your future, it's better to get something around 25A, because that's what you'll need. Linear supplies are around $250 for that kind of current.
2 comments:
Todd, I just saw this on QRZ today and thought of your 220mhz projects. Probably the same ol' same ol' from Baofeng but who knows?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQOi9LbtR8g
Pete KD0WZW
Commercial insterests need to fuck the hell off. Idk what the hell is wrong with this damn country and all the BS the FCC is spewing out. Theres plenty of nice frequencies around the 1.25m band. If you want new technology than let the HAM bands stay as thats where all the real technology comes from. Commercial sector does nothing useful but greed for money.
That aside though a have 2 baofeng uv-5r+ radios. One is the normal 2m 70cm and the other is a 2m 1.25m band love em.
Post a Comment