Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Lousy radio retailer: 446shop.com

On August 11, 2013 I placed an order at www.446shop.com for a HiGrade 2.0TS UHF HT.
I had tried to buy it earlier, but the website wouldn't let me create an account. No matter what I filled in, I got a dialogue box with the word "ERROR", and no explanation. I had to email the website and tell them that people can't buy anything from them. This was my first hint that 446shop was not a first-class operation. Later, when I came back, I still couldn't create an account, but I could buy the radio as "guest".

My second hint came when I saw that they wanted $20 for shipping. Now, the excellent 409shop.com has free shipping. While "free" shipping isn't really free, 446shop charges more for other radios than 409shop does. Unfortunately, 446shop was the only one selling the HiGrade. Note to HiGrade: Get a better retailer!

My third hint came when I received my "tracking notice" for my $20 shipping charge. There was no link, only a long string of letters and numbers and the words "Hong Kong Post". I looked up the Hong Kong Post package tracking website on my own, and entered the "tracking number". No such tracking ID. I waited two days. Still no tracking info. I emailed the contact at 446shop (adam.boys@hotmail.com) and told him that the tracking number didn't work. Certainly, a "sub-hint" came in the form of noticing that a 'serious' businessperson has hotmail for their address. I thought it would be straightened out. Instead, Mr. Boys sent a stupid reply stating that he had already sent the tracking number. Obviously I knew that, since I had told him that the number didn't work, and sent him his own email with the tracking number in my original message to him. The issue wasn't that I didn't have a tracking number; it was that the number didn't work. I apprised him of these facts. He once again responded that he had already sent the tracking number.

In the interim, I ordered a female-female UHF cable adapter from another retailer in Hong Kong. Shipping price: $3! Not $20. It arrived eight days later. Not eight working days, but eight days.

Meanwhile, it's been fifteen days since my radio was shipped from the same city, and it still isn't here. What kind of shipping does $20 buy in Hong Kong? It cost me $16 to send my Puxing back to 409shop in Hong Kong. I sent it six days ago, and it hasn't arrived in Hong Kong yet. I know that because I can track it.

On top of that, I asked 446shop for the link to the software for the radio. There is no external keypad or any way to programme the radio without software. No response. Instead, I contacted HiGrade directly and they sent me the software the next day. I also told them how unfortunate it was that they had a terrible retail partner.

Please don't confuse 409shop (which is excellent) with the execrable 446shop. I have seen lemonade stands run by kids handle their business better than 446shop.com. Really, the only thing that they have succeeded at so far is taking my money, and that's only because PayPal handles that.

So let's sum up. 446shop.com:
  • has a screwed-up website that won't let you create an account.
  • has dramatically higher shipping costs
  • provides noticeably worse shipping for that higher price 
  • offers no customer service whatsoever, even on things that cost them nothing
I absolutely can't recommend 446shop.com, even if the radio arrived tomorrow and had no problems. Contact the manufacturer directly and ask for an alternative retailer, or inquire at 409shop.com if they can get it in the future. It may take time to go through an alternate route, but it will take a lot of time to go with 446shop, too.

5 comments:

CrawfordNelsonIsador said...

Hello,
Excactly, 446shop is not good !!!!
I shipping a htc tc610, 446mhz adam job sending a 450-470mhz..... not possible use it !
I shipping a 2watchs for children 446mhz, is sending other frequency not legaly use it in france.
Do you have link for other seller HIGrade ?
409shop not have.....

CrawfordNelsonIsador said...

Do you have contact HiGrade ?
I search the model hiGrade 2.0ts

For software tc610, adam job send me a virus (trojan) to my mail box (detected by kaspersky)

Todd Dugdale said...

I've since learned that HiGrade and 446shop are pretty much the same entity. Amy Huang is the HiGrade rep, and she actually responds to questions about the product, but doesn't handle complaints. Her address is on the website.

Adam Boys is a waste of time to deal with altogether, and the people who pick, pack, and ship the products are absolutely incompetent.

It's really too bad, because HiGrade has some good stuff. 446shop also sells the Kenwood TM-471A that is hard to find anywhere else. But I know that I won't actually get the radio if I order it from them.

I've asked 409shop if they could possibly handle HiGrade products, and they said that they can't.

CrawfordNelsonIsador said...

In this case how to get itself products HiGrade?
446shop being incompetent, and I arrive has to find them nowhere else!

Would have you an address of contact has to supply me concerning products HiGrade?
I did not even find a site HiGrade!!!

Todd Dugdale said...

What I am saying is that there is no alternative.
446shop is the retail operation for HiGrade; they are the *same organisation*.

The only way is to convince a good retailer to become a *dealer* for HiGrade. Based on what we have both seen, that would probably be unattractive to any smart businessperson, and HiGrade would probably not make it very easy.

If it were easy, or good business, 409shop would have done it already.

There are only two choices. Either buy from 446shop (which is a disaster) or persuade a local dealer to get the radio for you. Both of those choices are unlikely to succeed.

HiGrade must stay in business by selling their products only in China directly to large Chinese companies that aren't retailers.

I've been unable to buy HiGrade radios, and they don't seem concerned about that.

Post a Comment