Sunday, 21 November 2021

KD0TLS: This is KD0TLS-7

This is all you need

 Above, you see most of my "laptop station" for APRS, known as KD0TLS-7. It consists of a monoband Puxing PX-777 plugged in to a Mobilinkd TNC2. The radiometer has nothing to do with the station; I just like having it in the windowsill. 

 The Mobilinkd TNC connects with my laptop via Bluetooth. The laptop is connected to the internet, so I have both RF and -IS available. The laptop is running APRSIS32 on Windows 10. 

 As you can see, it's a pretty simple station. I live in a condo, but I can put an HT in a windowsill and reach at least three local gateways/digipeaters with just 5W. This allows me to, for all intents and purposes, reach the world. But also the metro. 

 Back when K0YTH-13 was working in Robbinsdale, it was much easier for me to make a station like this work effectively. But I can still reach the Medina gateway (W0PZT-1) and the U of M W0YC-5 gateway. Lately, W3JF in Brooklyn Park has turned out to be a suitable replacement for the Robbinsdale digi -- at least for this particular station. 

 Note that I'm just using a "stock duck" antenna. Certainly, an indoor J-pole or mag-mount whip would be more effective. The point is that this works just fine. Virtually all hams have an HT with a stock duck. The vast majority of hams within the freeway loop are within eight miles of a gateway or digipeater, which is how far W0PZT-1 is from me... on the opposite side of the building from this windowsill. 

 While I'm using a Windows laptop running APRSIS32, this same station could operate equally well with an Android smart-phone or tablet running APRSDroid. Or a Linux box running YAAC or Xastir. Or an IPhone running the aprs.fi app. 

 The only thing that a lot of hams might lack is the Moblinkd TNC. The older (and much cheaper) TNC1.0 and TNC2 used to be available, but no longer. Instead, your choice is the much-improved $120 TNC3 (plus whatever cable you need to connect to the radio). They even will sell you a TRRS connector for $1.25 to make your own cable. The Mobilinkd TNC runs for two days on a single charge. I know, because I've tested it. And it charges with a standard USB cable, so most laptops or phone chargers can handle it. 

 A Microsat TNC with Bluetooth will run you about $180, and allow you to run very reliable gateways and digipeaters. A Kantronics KPC-3+ will cost $250 plus cable, and allow you to do WinLink packet, too. There are always more expensive options. But if you just want to get on the air with APRS, the cheapest option is the Mobilinkd TNC. 

 And if you don't particularly care about RF operation, it's a whole lot cheaper. Like, free.

No comments:

Post a Comment