HandiHam network update
I ran into N0BVE (Don) on the Medtronic UHF .525 repeater tonight, and he let me in on a few new developments:
- The two-metre SNP repeater that I previously mentioned is now on the Chaska water tower. N0BVE (Don) is running a machine on the 145.230- (114.8 PL) pair, and it has EchoLink and tone squelch implemented. I've never heard anyone on it, and it seems as if Don is keeping it in reserve while testing it for reliability. It's quite functional, and comes back S7 here in Plymouth.
- The 443.000+ (100.0 PL) UHF repeater in Chaska is back on the bench, and the 444.925+ (114.8 PL) has taken its place in Chaska. Those of you in the SW and Western metro on UHF should make note of the change.
- N0BVE has also set up a Yaesu System Fusion (C4FM) repeater in Minnetonka on the same site as the 145.450 2M HandiHam machine. It operates on 442.925+ (114.8 PL) in hybrid (both analogue and C4FM) mode. This is the same frequency pair as KA0PQW (Matt) uses for his UHF HandiHam repeater in Ellendale, and it's currently being tested as a possible backup for his failing machine there. I ker-chunked it for an S7 return, though it took at least ten watts. That's odd, since it's only about five miles (at most) from my location. My impression is that Don is also using this repeater to get acquainted with the C4FM mode, as he plans to link it to the network in the near future. So, the western metro is going to get another UHF machine -- and one that's linked, too.
EDIT: I was able to get in to the 442.925 okay with my PuXing HT and a stock duck antenna indoors, and also with my indoor Leixen rig. I guess that I need to clear some of the ice off my outdoor antenna. The 442.925 is definitely linked already, as I could hear the Friday Night Tech Net quite well on it.
6 comments:
Don's Fusion repeater seems to be doing really well. I can kerchunk it from Lino Lakes, with my HT/rubber duck, while inside my aluminum sided house.
Well, based on your report, I tried the same thing.
I can also ker-chunk it with an HT/stock duck from indoors, and even get in readably. Same with my 9W Leixen with an indoor dual-band antenna.
Maybe there's something wrong with the antenna on the FT-897D. I put a three-element Yagi on it, and it worked great.
I have no luck hitting it with 50 watts mobile from White Bear Lake
However I just realized I was making it in with 35 watts, or whatever high setting on the 8800 is, from hugo the other night, but that was with a base station antenna. Makes me question if I had the car radio set now. I'll have to try again.
I think that the 442.925 C4FM repeater is down at the moment. I was unable to raise it last night with a beam and 20W.
Well that would be a good explination then.
Post a Comment