Not that you would know it from the TCFM club website, but the 444.100 repeater has been replaced.
The news was announced on the .850 net a couple of weeks ago, and N0YNT (Matt) used his position as Net Control Operator to shake loose a few additional facts from those making that announcement. Yaesu has loaned the TCFMC a UHF repeater for an indefinite period for testing. What's even more interesting is that this repeater is a hybrid that handles both analogue and Yaesu's new C4FM digital mode.
Digital FM modes are not the first thing that come to my mind when I think about the Twin Cities FM Club. Remember, this is a club that had its (much-vaunted) EchoLink node off-line for over seven months of the last twelve. It's a club that ceased its sponsorship of an annual HamFest (the source of nearly all of the club's revenue) due to a tantrum over how ham radio has changed from the good old days. It's a club with a membership so firmly entrenched in the 1970's and the pre-cell phone era that they consider UHF to be "cutting edge". It's a club with a morning net that's so geriatric that you can almost feel your arteries harden as you listen to it.
The 444.100 (or "dot one", as it's called) has been a persistent source of irritation and controversy for the TCFMC. It would simply shut down during the morning net, or experience severe receiver problems for no apparent reason for an hour or so. In spite of a few drives to raise money to replace the "dot one", it's always been beyond the financial resources of the club to do that, and it's been beyond the technical skill of the club to make it work properly and reliably. The other UHF machine that the club operates, the 444.125+ (114.8 PL) in Edina, is completely unused. I've "ker-chunked" it at a mere S1 from a distance of fifteen miles, which makes it unusable north of I-694 -- if even that far. While the "dot one" has better coverage, I've found that it doesn't live up the claims of so many members. I've failed to "ker-chunk" it in Maplewood, and also in several places in Anoka County. It doesn't compare favourably to the coverage offered by the 444.425, 444.800, 442.600, 444.775, or the 444.175 repeaters.
The new hybrid repeater experienced problems at first. The squelch tail would include a digital signal, reception range was dismal, and signals into the machine were often intermittent. The morning net all but shook their fists at the new-fangled contraption. Yet, it seems to be working fine now and is carrying its usual load of traffic. The only thing that I've noticed is that the initial second or so of the
transmitting signal is chopped off by the repeater on a consistent
basis. I've yet to hear any reports on the C4FM performance.
The battle over digital mode dominance is an existential one, on the level of VHS vs. Betamax. There are variants of DMR, D-Star, P-25, and other proprietary codecs all vying for an edge. It would seem that the hobby hardly needs yet another addition to this conflict, but Yaesu is forging ahead with C4FM much as it pushed its previous 'success' known as WIRES. It's very difficult to sell C4FM rigs if there aren't any C4FM repeaters to use them on, so Yaesu is "priming the pump" with this loan. Yaesu's choice of the TCFMC as the host of this experiment is bewildering to me.
Digital FM modes seem to me to be a solution in search of problem. There are two advantages: more efficient use of spectrum and noise-free signals.
With so many virtually unused FM repeaters in town, though, is there really a lack of spectrum? Are the repeaters so crowded that we need new ways to jam more people on to the frequency pairs? Please point me to just one of these crowded FM repeaters. And narrower bandwidth means lower quality audio, with a significant amount of the individual's vocal characteristics lost in the trimming.
As far as noise-free coverage, the price is the loss of weak signals. It's not magic. If a digital signal can't make it into the repeater clearly, then it it's ignored by the repeater. Simply turning up the squelch on an analogue repeater's receiver would probably produce a remarkably similar result. Certainly, digitising the signal eliminates noise inherent in the signal's transfer from receiver to transmitter, but is that such a major problem currently? And it does nothing to address the growing problem of RFI everywhere, which affects the repeater and user radio alike.
In any case, this loan from Yaesu won't last forever. And, given the current financial woes of the TCFMC, there's no way that they are going to actually buy one of the Fusion machines. It's equally doubtful that the club can take advantage of this respite to replace or refurbish the old "dot one". Apparently, they barely have the money to pay for the site of their VHF repeater at the moment.
This isn't a problem exclusive to TCFMC, though. Other clubs have a membership base that is mostly retired and on a fixed income, too. Sending donations to a ham radio club is far down on their list of fiscal priorities. And the generational tantrum that males in this age group are bitterly locked into only reinforces an attitude of letting it all burn down and letting the 'younger' people pick up the pieces. Meanwhile, those 'younger' people (who are not particularly young) can barely suppress rolling their eyes in disdain over this tantrum, and hardly feel that they are welcome in that environment. These clubs are 'open' to any younger person, as long as they have an elderly mind-set, agree enthusiastically with all of the nonsense and paranoia, and openly acknowledge their obvious inferiority to their elders. Oh, and they must be willing to pay all of the bills, too. And if they keep their crazy ideas about where the hobby should go to themselves, all the better. But, yeah, other than that the amateur radio clubs are completely open.
Full disclosure: I am a dues-paying member of the TCFMC and I also have contributed to their repeater fund more than once. Over the past year, however, I've been sorely disappointed by the club's cliquish and arrogant membership, and I no longer use their repeaters. While I contribute about $70 each month to various amateur radio clubs and repeater trustees whose gear that I use, none of that goes to the TCFMC. I want my donations to support the future of the hobby, and not some long-dead past that only remains in the memories of a surly and condescending few. Since I no longer use their infrastructure, renewal in the club is 'unlikely' for me.
3 comments:
Have to pass on further posts to this blog. The negative tone regarding a local club isn't necessary and not good for the hobby in my opinion. This could have been a great post about a new digi mode and the pluses and minuses of yet another "standard". No need to continue to trash another group of hams that choose to enjoy their hobby in their own way. The solution you already know, stay off the .1 repeater and skip their meetings. I suggest keeping this good blog positive and informative and you will get many more followers. Just my 2 cents and barely worth 1/2 of that!
Sorry that you feel that way, Bob. Your post is pretty popular, and it's obvious that people are interested in what you have to say.
As far as your solution: I do stay off the dot one, and I have *never* been to a TCFMC meeting. As a dues-paying, fund-contributing member of the TCFMC, I think that it's clearly my prerogative to criticise a group that I belong to.
Your reaction to this criticism, as I see it, is deeply ironic. It is the *TCFMC* that has spent *years* snarling at hams that "choose to enjoy their hobby in their own way". I've written about this here. When I told K0BUD that I wasn't interested in HF, I was ridiculed by him and told that this was like "driving a car on two wheels" - a metaphor that makes little sense other to imply that I'm stupid. I am one of those new hams that gave the TCFMC a try. I gave them every opportunity ease my entry in to the local community. Instead, it went pretty much as I outlined. Now you think that I should just shut up about that experience, because it isn't positive.
The entire tantrum that resulted in TCFMC abandoning their Ham-Fest was an outrageously clear example of a club that is not the least bit interested in your idea of allowing other hams "to enjoy their hobby in their own way". It left them nearly bankrupt. TCFMC's "way" is to live in the past and snarl about how unfair it is that the world has changed. Is that "positive"? Is that "good for the hobby", in your opinion? If not, then why should I remain silent?
It's amazing to me that you have spent time in the local community and see the TCFMC as some kind of open, embracing, group of guys that never have a bad word to say about other hams. Yeah, they're all sunshine and smiles.
Aside from that, I completely reject this idea of yours that the hobby is harmed by recognising things that turn off new-comers. It seems that you prefer some cult-like model, where we lure people in with stories about how wonderful things are, and then tell them to shut up when they start seeing the cracks in the facade -- for the good of the hobby, of course.
You're welcome to post here again at any time. Feel free to write a post about how wonderful and open-minded the folks at TCFMC are, and how they would never, ever, lean on someone for associating with one of their critics. If you truly want to do something positive, then *use* this blog to *counter* the things that you disagree with. I don't censor anything here, and I encourage people to disagree with me and post their thoughts and reasoning. I certainly hope that you continue to read the posts here, and I look forward to discussing issues with you on the air.
Hmmmm. Not sure how you made the leap from my comment to suggesting that I may prefer a "cult like model" or that I think the folks at TCFMC are wonderful, but that's not my point. I just really like your blog and enjoy your writing style but thought the post about a new machine with new technology got muddled with your feelings about the TCFMC. Maybe that would be a good topic for it's own post? Oh right, you have made other posts about how you feel about TCFMC, maybe it's time to move on? In my experience, the tone of a blog is almost more important that the content. I have had much more luck in my blogs by keeping a positive tone. Of course criticism is welcome but it can be done in a positive way. This is not my blog, it's yours and you get to set the tone and style you want. That's the beauty of the web. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
Post a Comment